My paradise was brutally interrupted with the start of classes. When Sunday night rolled around the reality of Monday began to sink in. I think everyone on our program had the same thought: "Classes? What are classes? You mean I have to take those here?" Even this beautiful country is not exempt from the reality of being a student. Such is life.
Thankfully the universe has lessened the blow of beginning studies with awesome classes. I have four classes while I'm here (and only four day weeks): Elementary Italian, Survey of Studio Art, the Florentine Renaissance, and Late Renaissance Art. For those of you who know my obsession with art, you know that I am in a culture snob's heaven. I have Studio Art Mondays and Wednesdays, Florentine Renaissance Tuesdays, Late Renaissance Thursdays, and Italian every day of the week.
So Monday mornings start off with Studio Art. My teacher is a grad student, getting his MFA in art, and whose preferred medium is photography. He is cool and really laid back. It's one of those "there's no wrong answer, it's what you feel" kind of classes. Now while I firmly believe in wrong answers and that art is way more than what you feel, I like that I can always be right.
The class will be incredibly interesting for me. It focuses on Contemporary Art which is something I know nothing about and about which I am very skeptical. For instance, on the first day he showed us a video of a guy singing "Stairway to Heaven" backwards in front of St. Paul's Cathedral. He plays it forwards and calls it "Stairway to St. Paul." I get his meaning, it's impressive, and I know that Led Zeppelin fans would really appreciate it (i.e. Jesse) but I do not think I'm ready to call that art. I may never be ready. The jury is still out.
The problem for me is that I don't think that having a meaning or a message is the only prerequisite for art. To be human is to have meaning. One thing that every person has is a point of view. Since when is that worth an award? Are artists just the people who want to make being "interesting" a vocation? I would be offended as an artist if anyone could be one. In the spirit of the age, I could call myself an artist and therefore be one. This is a problem because I am not an artist. Not at all. Artists are those people who convey their meanings with beauty, real beauty. Beauty that reflects truth. But until we all agree on what beauty is and what truth is, we'll have people calling poop-filled jars art (no lie--some guy did this).
Alright, all done with the pontificating. My Italian class is fun. It's weird to be in a beginning language class again. It's like freshman year all over again. We're learning numbers, letters, days of the week, etc. My Italian teacher, Constanza, is the cutest thing ever. She is just so happy, loves teaching us, and dresses really well. She is adorable and I want to be her friend. She's going to take us to an Italian nursing home in a few weeks so we can practice our Italian with native speakers. She also wants us to learn an Italian song to sing to them. It should be interesting. Hopefully I don't spend the hour having a staring contest with an elderly Italian because I don't know what to say.
My art history classes are AWESOME! Oh, I'm in love. The Florentine Renaissance is taught by the guy Frank who led our tours. The other one is taught by a British woman who knows more about art than I thought was humanly possible. It's more than impressive. It's astounding. Both of those classes will almost never be in the classroom. On the first day of Florentine Renaissance, after spending an and a half in lecture, going into reveries over the beauty of Michelangelo's David, we went to the Piazza della Signoria and learned about the Palazzo Vecchio (where Sue married her Italian man, by the way).
In Late Renaissance Art, after our teacher arrived a little late, she told us to pack up our things and took us to the Uffizzi and that's where we had our lecture, in front of Boticelli, Leonardo, Raphael, Michelangelo, Titian. It was awesome. There were also some models walking through the museum at the same time. It was fashion week. We could tell they were models because they were skinny and wearing incredibly expensive clothing. Minus the models, that's how classes will be for both: musuems, churches, piazzas. It's incredible. Walking through the Uffizzi I just had a wonderful feeling, thinking, "This is what I came for."
Sunday, January 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
was waiting to hear more about "school"--sounds fun and interesting and I'm sure you will learn what you went there for, and more. About the nursing home trip--perhaps some residents will not even know if you are speaking Italian, English or some other language. Probably a good place to start out.--Of course I am sure others will be very much aware and you will have fun!
ReplyDeleteI has similar thoughts as your mother regarding the nursing home trip. The rest of your descriptions are enchanting. The "what is art" thing is very open to debate. Let's have one when you return.
ReplyDeleteMaybe after the nursing home, you'll "graduate" to nursery school. Wouldn't that would be fun...talking Italian to 4-year old native speakers!
ReplyDeleteFASHION WEEK?! fun muffins!!!
ReplyDeletethat stinks that you have to take classes while your there but i guess it kinda makes sense that you have to
ok so today we went to gma and gpas house and jean made me eat a lemon with the skin on it.... it was really yummy!!
AND....DRUMROLL.....I WATCHED TWILIGHT TODAYYYY!!!!! ok so i found this website that you could watch the whole thing online FOR FREE! and i didnt even have to download anything! yea i just finished it like 10 minutes ago
i changed my picture too!
Steph - reading your blog makes me sooooo very happy :)
ReplyDeleteI think it's very cool that you'll be going into a nursing home to practice your Italian. What a great idea! I'm sure that your class, as well as the residents, will benefit.
Allie - looks like someone discovered Movie6! That's where I watched Twilight too ;)
actually i found this japanese website... :) im not sure how i found it
ReplyDeleteYou're making me want to go back to school!
ReplyDeleteSounds incredible...and I'd love to hear you have a debate with your Contemp Art teacher about the objective nature of beauty. Hmm, maybe you could give him that Coleridge handout from Lit Crit. =P
IM GOING TO A JESSE MCCARTNEY CONCERT!!!!
ReplyDeleteFEB 28TH!!
Who's Jesse McCartney? Paul McCartney's grandchild... ;)
ReplyDeleteok i feel incredibly technologically incompetent, as i just figured out how to comment on here haha. my usual savvy has failed me. three things:
ReplyDelete1) i love reading your posts! and i can't believe that you're there during FASHION WEEK!!
2) not that i didn't think you would, but i'm really glad you're loving classes. make sure to pay really close attention to give me some new fast fun facts of the day.
3) pontificating?! please speak in english.
oh wait, ps-i used the conversation starter we figured out on the phone when i saw the person you were supposed to set me up with last semester. it totally worked. one whole five minute conversation...check.
love, emily
Potificate = to preach, or to preach at
ReplyDeleteJust wait until I start blogging in Italian.
As for fashion week, it actually starts in Florence before moving other cities like Milan, Paris, London, New York. There's fast fun fact.
Another fast fun fact...if you ever visit the baptistry of the Duomo (across the tiny piazza, the big octagonal building) and look at Ghiberti's Doors of Paradise, those are not the original doors. They are replicas made in the 1960s after a huge flood that hit the city ripped the original doors off and sent them down the street. They are still being restored and are in the musuem behind the Duomo. So basically 90% of tourists in Florence have no idea that those are not the original doors. Ok, so that wasn't exactly a fast fact, but it was fun, right?
I just got back from watching the inauguration in an Irish pub. Talk about removed: an American in an Irish pub in Italy. It's so sad to not be in America for such an historic moment.
nooo... jesse mccartney is a singer whos reallly hott!!
ReplyDeleteeww allie no...yuck. and steph, we dvred the inauguration so you can watch it in the us (3 months late) if that will make you feel better :)
ReplyDeleteSteph what is the conversation starter you figured out for Emily? Maybe I can use it. I'm really very shy underneath my gregarious persona. and please no comments from the peanut gallery regarding romantic life. or lack of.....
ReplyDeleteok so some weirdo aid at shawnee got arrested!!!
ReplyDeleteALERT!! TOMORROW IS THE ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY OF HEATH LEDGERS DEATH :( jan 22. im gonna wearing a joker shirt to school... its small and ill look like a freak but i dont care!!
Okay, Steph, your blog is officially a success. Not only do you post great content, but you always have a lively discussion going on in you comments. It's rather hard to pull off both of those things. For that, I crown you Queen of Blogland!!! Now, give us a new post - it's been a few days and I think I speak for us all when I say, we're kind of in withdrawal :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Michelle. Just posted the new one.
ReplyDelete