Until this trip, I had only been to Italy in the summer months, July to be exact. So, I have this picture of Italy in my mind that is full of sun and at times unbearably hot. Even rumors of how cold Florence can be in the winter did not convince me that the weather would ever be too cold, too windy, too rainy. Florence is my Italian paradise. Come on.
This week changed all that.
It all began Sunday when my roommate, Chelsea, came down with a cold. Sue had warned us that around week two a lot of us would start getting sick. Well, it started. This cold beat Chelsea up and I knew that it was only a matter of time before it tried to knock me out too. I woke up on Tuesday morning with that telling sore throat and I knew that I was done for. However, on that morning I was still hanging on to a little hope. Maybe vitamin C and a good rest would help me fight this thing off before it took a hold of me.
Enter Tuesday morning art history class.
As you all know, my art history classes are rarely in the classroom. It is awesome and definitely one of the reasons I came to study here. There is absolutely nothing like having a lecture on Donatello's David in front of Donatello's David (fyi it is very shiny in person). Of course, outside the classroom does not only mean in museums. It can also mean the real outside. Hence, our Tuesday lecture took place on the steps of the Duomo, in front of the Baptistry doors, and outside of Orsanmichele. This time outside was punctuated by a brief 20 minutes inside the Bargello Museum. Other than that, my class was outside in the 20 degree weather with huge windgusts and, to top it all off, a little bit of rain.
We all sat on the steps of the Duomo, our eyes watering from the cold wind, listening to the stories of how Florence was under siege from the Duke of Milan in the 1300s which came to an end only when the Duke caught the plague. Frank, with his booming God voice, tried to drown out the street cleaners and the ambulances that went by. I had my eyes pealed for gypsies but then thought that if a gypsy did attack me, at least running after them would warm me up. Then I thought that it would be nice if Frank got the plague because then class would be over. My pen hardly worked because the ink was getting too cold. I was a cold, tired, sick, cranky mess. I tried to cheer myself up that afternoon with shopping. The excursion to Zara with my friend Katie was only a temporary fix, however. My two new dresses did not keep me from coming down with a fever by 9 that night. The two dresses are really cute, though. Very chic. I am just so European.
The cold did not end there. Wednesday and Thursday were equally frigid and sometimes included rain. My Thursday morning art history class with Linda the magnificent art historian was pretty tough, but thankfuly inside. The class is three hours and I was pretty sure I wasn't going to make it until Linda said a few magic words that made her my new favorite person on the planet: "Let's walk back to school and before we begin the second part of our lecture we'll stop at our favorite little cafe and have a cappuccino."
YES! Italy is awesome and so is Linda!
Monday, January 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sounds like you need some ribollita
ReplyDeleteribollita ...good for whatever ails you. so how come it doesn't snow at 20 degrees? That was fahrenheit, wasn't it?
Let me try that hyperlink again
ReplyDeleteribollita
one more time
ReplyDeleteribollita
Ewwwww, you just blew my romantic image of you traipsing around Florence, giddy from the sights and smells of this uniquely beautiful place -- not shivering and sniffling in the cold.
ReplyDeleteI certainly hope things are looking up weatherwise, and that you're feeling much better.
Lizzie's been here with us for the weekend and we're having our Super Bowl Party now -- of course, you know that's just an excuse for us to eat a lot of junk(ish)food (since when do we need an excuse?). Spicy wings, guacamole, chicken quesadillas, and fondue (that was not so great) were among some of the appetizers. You probably don't get Tex-Mex there, but I wouldn't complain. Opt for the ribollita.
Glad you blogged; hopefully you'll have better weather and better health to talk about next time! Miss you!
I hope you,re wearing your woolen underwear and not something like a thong. It should start getting warmer soon, I think.
ReplyDeleteMy guests just left from our superbowl party. We had better food than Aunt Chris. We had chili, corn pudding, hot wings, quacamole, artichoke and goat cheese pie, cocktail franks, roasted little peppers, eggplant salad and homemade corn chips.
By the way, what the heck is ribollita?
I understand you went to Rome this weekend. Let us hear about it.
Stay warm. Love from me and grandpa.
As if you didn't know, Super Bowl in our family is all about the food. No one even bothered to tell you who won it. And I know the Italians are not very interested in our version of football.
ReplyDeleteOk, smartypants, Grandma. I failed to mention the sprial cut ham, homemade cole slaw, cornbread and blackbean/corn salad. We topped it off with chocolate fondue (melted chocolate -- what could be bad?)with bananas, pretzels, whipped cream and toffee chips.
ReplyDeleteAnd, we did watch the game -- Steelers won. I liked the half-time show the best -- Springsteen! Still my fav..........
By the way, I don't think almost 80-year-old grandmas should be blogging about thongs -- unless you're a wearer of one!
Exciting news -- Stephen's high school Jazz band went to Boston this weekend for Berklee's (music college) annual High School Jazz Fest. His band came in second, but Stephen won a MAJOR AWARD (although, not a leg lamp). He won the Judge's Award, which is given to the "Most Valuable Player" in each band. Needless to say, he was very excited, as were we!
Keep warm!
I am at work- it is 2am at Cooper hospital-and all is definitely NOT well. I have just sat down for the first time tonight and I am waaaay behind in my paper work--but I need a break, so I am taking it now. I peaked in at all my patients, and I am fairly confident that they are all alive. Right now, freezing in Florence sounds pretty inviting to me.
ReplyDeleteRibollita was one of our favorite dishes also.For Grandma: It is Tuscan bean and vegetable soup that is made one day and re-boiled ("ribollito") the next day and is very thick and hardy.I think it has some day old bread in it.
we are waiting to hear about your Roman advenures. love you!
Steph I am hanging on to your every word. I can almost feel the cold rain and wind, brrr...I have to confess that along with looking forward to reading about your adventures and seeing your pictures I am equally enjoying being in contact with some of the day to day goings on in our family. Congrats to Steve You're the man!!!
ReplyDeleteI made fresh pasta for SB Sunday if anyone cares
I care-I heard you make yummy fresh pasta. What else was on your menu? We'll see whose party had better food-yours, mom's or Chris's. So far, you may be leading with the fresh pasta.
ReplyDeleteI hope my friends are reading all these comments because I talk about how my family is food obsessed and I don't think they quite get what I mean by that. This is a textbook example.
ReplyDeleteAlso, congrats, Steve! That's awesome!
Oh my word - food? awards? thongs? - what is going on here?!!?
ReplyDeleteAs for my super sunday, I went to a bar with some friends and, while we had some pretty good wings, they were nothing compared to all the food you guys are describing. However, there is nothing like being in Pittsburgh for a big Pittsburgh win. They shut down half the streets in the city so people could celebrate on Sunday night and all the public schools had a 2 hour delay on Monday. There was no snow or bad weather, it was just business as usual in Steeler Nation :)
P.S. Congrats, Steve!!!!
P.S.S. Stay warm (and well) Steph!