Sunday was the blessed first day of sleeping in. After dragging our jet lagged bodies around for the last few days, the extra rest we all got on Sunday was wonderful. I really needed it because my body was still on US time and coupled with the noisy street below us falling asleep those first two or three nights was nearly impossible. It’s gotten much better now, though it’s still weird to think about how early it is back at home. I’m writing this at 11pm my time while you are all barely getting ready for dinner. Strange.
Our only plan for the day was a trip to the church of San Miniato al Monte, a church overlooking the city. San Miniato and the adjoining cloister of Benedictine monks are built on the cave of St. Minias. The legend of Minias goes back to a time in ancient Rome when the emperor (I forget his name) was persecuting the Christians all over the empire. This emperor used to set Christians on fire to light the night competitions in the coliseum. It was a dark and difficult time for Christians.
Minias stopped in this cave on his way back to his kingdom when he had a vision from God, and God told him to stay in Florence and spread the word of God. So Minias remained in Florence, living in this cave and preaching the story of Christ. He was a protector of the people of Florence, staying on this hill above the city, and won many converts.
Word of his work reached the emperor in Rome who promptly sent soldiers to Florence to deal with Minias. He refused to cease his preaching so he was put under arrest. They brought him into the coliseum and fed him to the lions, but the lions miraculously did not eat him. So they resorted to a more reliable way of getting rid of him: they had him beheaded in the center of the city (now Piazza della Reppublica). However, that was not the end of the story for Minias. The beheaded Minias picked up his head and walked from the forum to his cave in the hill and there laid himself to rest. His remains disappeared but reappeared in the 13th century in his cave, and it became the site of the church dedicated to his namesake.
I know that was long, but I liked this story. As our professor says, legend is far more important than truth when it comes to these things.
We met for our trip up to the church on Ponte alle Grazie, the bridge south of the Ponte Vecchio. From the bridge we could see San Miniato, a tiny white façade at the top of a hill. When Frank pointed it out, we all thought “That hill? That hill all the way over there? We’re walking there?” Keep in mind this was only our fourth day in Italy—we had not gotten used to all the walking.
However, not only was this walk not too long, it was BEAUTIFUL. We crossed to the side of the river opposite to the Duomo and the city center, and immediately things were calmer. It was much more quiet, more residential, and far less touristy. I felt like I had room to breathe. It was more Tuscan than Florentine. It was a respite. Frank recommended that we go to that side of the river for apperitivo (happy hour) if we want to meet Italians our own age. I’m game. Also, he said that that neighborhood will be a great escape when the tourists hit.
We walked through the calm streets dominated by the rosy colors of the buildings and walked through the old city walls. Along the walls is a long, hilly path that is a great workout and a great view of the city. We continued up the hill and through some more walls. I turned around to check on my friends who were falling behind and I gasped as I caught one of the most beautiful views of Florence I have ever seen. The sun was hitting it just right. The sun painted yellow on the sides of the building. Everything was soft and golden. As we climbed the hill the view of the city became more and more beautiful. When we finally reached the top, it was absolutely breathtaking. If you ever go to Florence the Piazza de Michelangelo has a great view, but this is so much better.
The church was beautiful. The façade was white and green marble with a beautiful mosaic of Christ, St. Francis, and Mary with gold in the background. There was a similar mosaic in the apse of the church. The inside of the church was very dark, but there was still something so beautiful and secure in being in a place so massive, so stable, yet in flux as new people come in and new art is added. I have to admit, though, that at the time I was caught up in how dark and bulky it looked. I think I was disappointed that it did not make me think of heaven. Something in me knew, and is able to know now, that it was certainly beautiful. It was a church that displayed the stability and majesty of God rather than the soaring light of his realm. One is not better than the other.
We spent a lot of time in the sacristy were there was a beautiful fresco series on the life of St. Benedict. We also took a look at the grave of a Cardinal who was brother to the King of Portugal and the Pope. This Cardinal had said, when he saw San Miniato, that he wanted to be buried there when he died. He got his wish a little early thanks to the plague, and his chapel has purple marble, one of the rarest types in the world. It’s only mined in the Sudan.
The most beautiful part of the afternoon was listening to the monks in the crypt singing Gregorian chants. It was the most beautiful thing, listening to these monks singing chants written so long ago. They were at the same time old and fresh. They fit in that church, surrounded by the work and faith of people from centuries ago, singing with new and different voices to an unchanging God.
Friday, January 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Your descriptions were beautiful and I am glad you took it all in. And I'm glad you are getting some good exercise!
ReplyDeleteoh my god! i can just picture EVERYTHING you said in my head! ahh it seems sooooo pretty!! it all must seem like a dream right?! have you had any favorite food yet?!
ReplyDeleteoh yea, michelle, im a tad bit obsessed... maybe even more... :) but i love them so much! the dvd is coming out on march 21! and the second movie is coming out on nov 20th!!
I do have a favorite food now. It's called pici (I think that's how you spell it) and it's the traditional dish of Siena. It's noodles made of flour and water in a tomato sauce. It doesn't sound like much but it was AMAZING! I had it for lunch today. Yummy...
ReplyDeleteAnd Allie, one of my roommates, Alysse, loves Twilight. She's trying to find an English copy of the second book.
Pici, huh? How come I don't know about that? I'm trying to test putting a hyperlink in a comment:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.thedenverchannel.com/food/3896294/detail.html
Pici Recipe
This is a practice comment.
ReplyDeleteRoses are red and can grow in a pot
ReplyDeleteYou're in Italy and I'm not
You wanted an original poem, so don't blame me.
I got breathless reading your blog. Just imagining me walking with you. I love your description of everything. I can almost see and smell things. I don't mean you. My love
I'm there with you. I love it. I will be sure to save your entries so that when I visit Florence I can walk in the footsteps of Stephania.(and other cool people)
ReplyDeleteHow do you like Grandma bloggin? How many of your friends have bloggin' grannies? In the mean time I will check out Pici
Steph - you are right about the Pici - it's awesome! Don and I ate lots when we were there this summer. Make sure to bring some home with you, it's easy to find dried and it travels well (just roll the package up in some clothes so it doesn't break). It's impossible to find in the U.S. I've tried :(
ReplyDeleteHey Michelle,
ReplyDeleteHere's where we can buy Pici online - and other Tuscan goodies
Pici at Tuscanytoyou.com
Steph - maybe you can take a cooking class while you're there, if you have time
I LOVE that you are blogging, Grandma. And you are the first and only person to write me a poem so congratulations, you are my favorite follwer.
ReplyDeleteAs for the cooking classes, my school is offering one! I think I'm going to sign up for it. Maybe the pizza making class too.
Today I'm going to hit up some of the sales around here. Can't wait. I've been very good so far and haven't bought anything but food, but since I do not have good going out outfits (I always borrow my roommate, Kim's stuff) I am going to do some smart shopping. I am determined to look Italian.
Steph, your descriptions are absolutely amazing!! You've managed to make me even more jealous than I already am. I'll be sure to email you or write on your wall(that means facebook, everyone), so you can hear all the goings on in my (not nearly as exciting)life.
ReplyDeleteOh,and grandma, that poem was wonderful!!
grandma your poem was lovely :) and i reaally want to try the pici! sounds DELISH
ReplyDeleteThough I don't aspire to topping Grandma's poem, I am going to work on it--it may take a while, though. Can't wait to see how you look as an Italian , Steph--just purchase like a frugal Italian!
ReplyDeletelove you
There once was a girl named Stefania
ReplyDeleteWho traveled to lovely Italia
She tried all the food
And declared " this is good
But it can't beat my grandma's lasagna!"
( i wanted to substitute "eggplant parmagiana",
but there were too many syllables and I didn't want points taken off )
Good because that would have been forcing the rhyme and nobody likes that.
ReplyDeleteSorry I have not been blogging, but I haven't had a chance to even read your postings lately.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, we had to go to NY overnight for a funeral -- Uncle Pete's cousin passed away. He had been sick for some time. And then on Friday, Stephen had his "Super Sweet Sixteen" party -- yikes! At one point, we had close to 40 teens in our basement (and not all of them were invited! Guess the word got around). Except for two broken folding chairs and a bent pull-out bed from the couch (I shutter to think how it got bent), all went without incident. At least, I think. Stephen had a great time and said it was "party of the year" -- it was January 16th, so I guess that's not a difficult title to capture.
Anyway, on to you! I agree with Grandma -- I'm breathless just reading about your adventures. It is all so wonderful and this blog is not only a great way to share it with us, it makes a treasured keepsake for you.
I am going to work on a poem for you, and I won't dare "force the rhyme"!
Miss you!
Hi Steph! I just came back from a yoga class. I feel nauseous. I don't know if I went right after dinner or the positions I had to do. It wasn't too bad. I got in some weird positions and had a hard time getting out of them. There were only three of us in the class. Me, a nurse about 45 and a heavy set man about 55 or 60. We had a few laughs, but on the whole it wasn' bad. I may go back again next week. Maybe not right after dinner.
ReplyDeleteYour Mom told me you had a cold. I hope you're feeling better. I bet you can't wait till the weather starts getting warmer. Love you and miss you.