Sunday, March 29, 2009

Becoming an Italian

Well, needless to say I am pathetically behind on my blog posts. I've decided that this is proof that I am truly becoming an Italian. In a country where siesta is observed daily with religious intensity and the handyman will saunter over to your house three weeks after you call him, my evident procrastination, lazy in American eyes, is predictably normal.

Alright, really, sorry everyone! Things got so crazy in the last month that it became nearly impossible to keep up with it all. Thanks so much for all your thoughts and prayers. I've been thinking about all of you even if I haven't been writing. Also, thank you all so much for the birthday wishes! Yes, I'm 21 now. How weird is that?

Okay, here is a quick rundown of the things I've done in the last month...

I went to Paris with Katie and Dana. I LOVED IT! I doubt that it's possible to not love Paris but I really, really loved it. The city is just so beautiful. We had about two and a half days there. In that short time we went to the Louvre, the Musee d'Orsay, Versailles, the Eiffel Tower, the Arc d'Triomph (is that how you spell it?), walked the Champs Elysee, Le Marais (the Jewish district where they have wonderful falafel, and lots of Jews), Notre Dames, and, of course, ate some good French food. Love!

I also went to Venice on a school trip. It was a bit cold but really fun. We went to the Guggenheim and the Academia--two things I haven't done before--plus saw all the major things. Sad news...our group meal was awful. Finding good, reasonably-priced food in Venice is an uphill battle. But, on that front, guess what was there....a chocolate fair! I got to experience the glory all over again.

I turned 21 that weekend. I am getting too old for all this. I had a good time with my friends and a really great dinner at one of my favorite places called Gustapanino. Tell your friends. It's wonderful. For the record, I did not get wasted or sick or anything. My friends did, but I was fine. Always stay classy. That's my motto.

A few weeks later Daddy came to visit. We had the most wonderful time. Those two days had the best weather I have seen in Florence. We did a lot of the things Daddy and I have already done plus some new things like the Boboli Gardens, climbing the Duomo (yes, I did it) and the Baptistry. Daddy liked being able to say that he's conquered the Duomo--cathedral, bell tower, dome, and baptistry. We also had an utterly amazing meal. Daddy can tell you all about it.

Right after Daddy left for home Chelsea T., Alysse, Callan, Kayla, Kim and I went horseback riding through Tuscany. It was beautiful! What an unique way to see Tuscany. I know the thought of me trying to ride a horse is probably bringing a lot of funny images to mind. I was fine, but we had a bit of a rough start. I didn't get much direction from the people there so I had a bit of trouble getting my horse to turn the way I wanted her too (Romana was her name). I had visions of us falling into a ditch or something, but all was well. We had a little wine tasting and dinner afterwards. It was such a nice day (though our legs were paying for it the next).

Then, in the latest news, I went to Southern Italy this weekend and had the best time ever! A group of 10 of us went to Sorrento, Positano, Amalfi, Capri, and Pompei over the last few days. It was incredible! We ran into a little rain in Capri, but otherwise the weather was amazing and the views spectacular. The highlights: cliff jumping in Positano and a boat ride around the island of Capri. Cliff jumping was a ton of fun. Sorry, Mommy. I know you wouldn't approve.

Okay, that's the general story of what's been going on. Life has been really busy, especially now that we're heading into our last nine days. NINE DAYS! I can't even handle this. I can't wait to see everyone at home, but the thought of leaving Italy is killing me. I am going to miss this place so much.

I love you all and will talk to you soon!

8 comments:

  1. I just read your new and long awaited blog. I can't believe you'll be home soon. I hope you will still like the U.S. and us









    I just read your new and long awaited blog. It seems like you practically saw all of Europe and some. I hope you'll get use to our American food. Can't wait to see you and hear all about your adventures. Love Gramma

    ReplyDelete
  2. How could I not still like you? Or the US? I love Italy, but America is still a pretty great place. As for getting used to the American food, that will definitely take some time, but I have confidence I will overcome.

    Love you, miss you, and can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything you've done sounds incredible. I'm glad you waited until after you did it and survived, to tell us about the cliff jumping. What exactly does that mean??

    We're still waiting for spring to arrive in the northeast. It's been way too cold here. By the time you get back, the weather should be nice. Make the most of those last 9 days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's great that you did (and survived, of course) cliff jumping. Not too many opportunities to do that in South Jersey. Running into a SECOND chocolate festival is just a too good to be true!

    Any exciting plans for your last weekend there? I can't believe time has gone so fast. At least you can say you made the most of it.

    Looking forward to hearing more at Grandma's birthday dinner at Femmina -- don't know if it'll stack up to Gustapanino, but we'll make do!

    See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, cliff jumping is just what it sounds like--climbing a cliff and jumping off of it. We rented a boat for an hour and the driver took us to this cliff that people jump from. We jumped into the water, swam to the cliff (basically a rock formation in the middle of the water), climbed up the cliff, then jumped. It was so difficult to climb up, though, because the rock was so jagged and there were not many places to gran onto. We made do, sucked it up, bled a little, then jumped from the top. It was exhilarating. Definitely a once in a lifetime experience.

    I am making a day trip to Cinque Terre on Saturday. We'll go up in the morning, hike through the towns (it takes a bout two and a half hours) and come back late afternoon. That day is also Dana's birthday so we're going out to dinner then out Italian style. The rest of the weekend will be devoted to studying for finals (yes, I have finals) and shopping. Oh, and eating of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. we sometimes forget the "studying" part of studying abroad. But I know you've learned many valuable life lessons: surviving cliff jumping; the wisdom to tell your Mom, AFTER you jumped; describing your meals in detail so we can feel like we are there eating with you-without the calories. Love you and can't wait to see my bellabambina!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you will enjoy the Cinque Terre. It is so beautiful. Lots of walking up hill but beautiful views everywhere. I loved taking the ferry back to our town (manorola) after walking to the towns north of it. The view from the water was beautiful also. Can't wait to see you and the rest of the family in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your motto Steph! Who says you can't turn 21 with class?

    ReplyDelete